Short Law group, P.C.
Free Consultations - Se Habla Español

How to get your driver's license back

There are many circumstances under which you might have your license suspended or revoked.

These circumstances include driving under the influence of intoxicants (DUII), committing five traffic offenses within a two-year period, disregarding court-ordered child support orders and failing to provide a chemical sample (blood, urine, breath) at the time of your DUII arrest.

If your license is suspended or revoked, you will receive a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) instructing you to return your physical license to the DMV. You are not allowed to drive at all during the period of suspension or revocation. You have to comply with the law during your suspension and you must attend all your scheduled hearings.

Upon receipt of the letter of suspension or revocation, you should request a hearing within the specified time period. A qualified DUII attorney can help you understand the letter, determine whether the arresting officer followed procedure, and explain exactly what is required of you in order to get your driver's license back. You may be able to receive a "hardship probationary permit" that allows you to drive for work or in other situations, but you must first submit an appeal.

You can go to court and attempt to get your driving privileges partially or completely restored if the time period for contesting a suspension has passed. When proof that your case has been cleared in court is presented to the DMV, you will be able to drive again.

Proof can be submitted in an official court document that is presented to the DMV either in person, by mail or electronically. It is helpful if your attorney can present your case in a positive manner, speak to your rehabilitation and changed behavior, and offer any additional justification for having your driving privileges restored.

You may consider taking a driver's safety course, consulting a medical professional or entering a rehabilitation program in order to show the court you take your driving privileges seriously. This will help boost your case for getting your driver's license back. You must also continue to comply with the law regarding support payments, paying fines and taking care of past driving offenses.

If you have been arrested for DUII, you only have 10 days to request a hearing to contest your driver's license suspension. If your driver's license has already been suspended or revoked for any reason, you may still be able to have your driving privileges restored, but it is critical that you follow the proper procedures. An attorney who is experienced with DUII cases can help you fight to get your license back.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Two Convenient Law Offices to Serve You

Contact us to learn how we can help you overcome the challenges you face. For a free consultation with Short Law Group, call our Portland or Salem offices today at 503-747-7198. If you need an evening appointment or an interview at a police station or jail following an arrest, just let us know. Se habla español.

Portland Office
12755 SW 69th Avenue
Suite 200
Portland, OR 97223

Phone: 503-747-7198
Fax: 503-747-2951
Portland Law Office Map

Salem Office
530 Center Street NE
Suite 722
Salem, OR 97301

Phone: 503-747-7198
Fax: 503-747-2951
Salem Law Office Map

Review Us