Short Law group, P.C.
Free Consultations - Se Habla Español

Can individuals lose their right to own a gun under federal law?

People may be aware that they can be charged with crimes at both the federal and state level. In either case, there are specific penalties that can be assigned. These penalties can include jail time and fines, but they can also include the loss of certain civil rights. These rights can include the right to own or possess a firearm.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, there are certain situations were individuals can lose the right to receive or possess firearms and ammunition under federal law. One situation where people can lose the right to own firearms is when the person has been convicted of a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Additionally, people can lose the right to possess firearms when they are a fugitive from justice or they are an unlawful user of controlled substances.

But those are not the only situations where people can lose the right to own or possess a firearm. Other situations include when a person has been committed to a mental institution, has renounced the person's U.S. citizenship, has been dishonorably discharged from the military or convicted of certain domestic violence crimes.

Individuals who ignore federal prohibitions against owning or possessing a firearm, can face criminal penalties. A conviction on these federal charges can lead to additional criminal sentences and penalties.

It is important for individuals to understand their rights when it comes to owning firearms. With the proper criminal defense in place, individuals can fight charges that could lead to a loss of the right to possess a firearm. An attorney can give specific legal advice to individuals whose civil liberties are at risk because of criminal charges.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Two Convenient Law Offices to Serve You

Contact us to learn how we can help you overcome the challenges you face. For a free consultation with Short Law Group, call our Portland or Salem offices today at 503-747-7198. If you need an evening appointment or an interview at a police station or jail following an arrest, just let us know. Se habla español.

Portland Office
12755 SW 69th Avenue
Suite 200
Portland, OR 97223

Phone: 503-747-7198
Fax: 503-747-2951
Portland Law Office Map

Salem Office
530 Center Street NE
Suite 722
Salem, OR 97301

Phone: 503-747-7198
Fax: 503-747-2951
Salem Law Office Map

Review Us